Wednesday, September 12, 2012 – The Canmore Eagles of the Alberta Junior Hockey League will open their home schedule on Friday, September 14 with a game against the Whitecourt Wolverines. Game time at the Canmore Recreation Centre is 7 pm.
It should be a great night at the rink as several special events are planned including:
• A free pre-game BBQ – courtesy of Scott McLeod and his Shopper’s Drug Mart team. Come early and score a complimentary smokie with soft drink and make a donation to Canmore's Kids Sport.
• Special guest appearances from Canmore’s new Mayor John Borrowman and Canmore’s new Chief Administrative Officer, Lisa De Soto, who will co-share in the ceremonial puck drop to officially start the Eagle’s home season.
• Calgary Flames Public Address announcer Beesley will be in the press box to handle the PA duties for the game. Don’t miss his booming voice! Can you say “Jaroooome Iginlaaaaaaa”?
• The Eagle’s Nest Lounge will be open with special $3 Molson Canadian cold draft beer.
• Five local Canmore boys could be in the starting lineup including Luke Simpson, Johnny Stevens, Jeremy Gordon, Nils Moser and Kyle Pauls.
The Eagles will continue their current three-game home-stand on Saturday, September 15 when they will host the visiting Spruce Grove Saints. Game time is 7 pm. Canmore will then host Drumheller on Friday, September 21.
NOTEBOOK: Eagle’s Head Coach and General Manager Andrew Milne expects to have both centreman Jeremy Margeson and defenceman Jeremy Gordon back in his lineup for Friday’s home opener. . . Forward Paul Lamouriex is close to returning. . . . Look for goaltender Ty Swabb to make his home debut in the Eagle net for Friday night’s game against Whitecourt, while Cameron Barnes is expected to get the start against Spruce Grove on Saturday night. . . New Eagle assistant coach Jeremy Reich will make his regular season debut behind the Eagle's bench. . . It will be a bitter-sweet night for former Eagle Board of Director Peter Eshenko as his son Preston will make his AJHL debut for the Wolverines on Friday night. Preston will be wearing #3. . . The Eagles have sent forward Ryley Risling back to the Medicine Hat Triple A Midget club. . . .Olds Grizzly’s defencman Chris Stachiw has received a four-game suspension for his cross-checking major penalty that injured Eagle’s rookie forward Alexander Bechtold in last Saturday’s game in Olds. Bechtold suffered a broken ankle/foot after sliding into the end boards and will be out of the Eagle’s lineup for up to two months. . . The Eagles will be holding a fund-raising car wash on Sunday, September 16 at Simpson's Car Wash from 11 am to 3 pm. Come on over and meet this year's Eagle team and get your car/truck looking like new.