For the 2nd straight night, the Canmore Eagles and the Drumheller Dragons needed Overtime to decide a winner. But unlike in Game 1, the Overtime lasted much longer and this time it was the hometown Dragons who were victorious as they pulled past the Eagles 3-2 in 2nd Overtime. The Best-of-5 series is now tied at a 1 game apiece.

Thursday night, it was Eagles forward Owen Reith who ended the game only 56 seconds into the 1st Overtime period. Tonight, it was Dragons Forward Brady Risk who ended the contest at 7:53 of the 2nd Overtime period.

“It was a great Hockey game tonight, I thought it was an outstanding hockey game,” said Eagles Coach and General Manager Andrew Milne. “It was a game that could have gone either way, we had our chances to win and we missed. They got one that they scored on and that’s the game. I’m proud of my guys, I thought we played some of the best hockey that we’ve played all year in these last 2 games. I’m proud of my guys, I thought they deserved to win tonight, but sometimes that’s how it is.”

The game was certainly was a very fast paced and entertaining one for the 862 fans in attendance at the Drumheller Memorial Arena.

After a scoreless 1st period that saw both teams getting some good scoring chances, the Dragons broke the goose-egg first as Roc Truman scored on a breakaway at 10:09 of the 2nd period. The Eagles tied the game at 1-1 with 1:57 left in the middle frame courtesy of a goal from Taden Rattie (1st). Tian Rask and Colton Young picked up the assists. However, before the end of the 2nd, the Dragons regained the lead on Roc Truman’s 2nd goal of the game with 37 seconds left and the Dragons held a 2-1 lead at the 2nd intermission.

In the 3rd period, the Eagles showed their resiliency as Captain Colton Young (1st) scored to knot the game at 2-2. Taden Rattie and Finn Withey picked up the assists.

In the 1st Overtime period, both teams got plenty of chances, but neither team could end the game. Just like in Game 1, the Eagles played disciplined as they were only called for 2 minor penalties, including 1 in regulation time. The Dragons also had the same number of penalties as in Game 1 with 3 minors.

Thomas Davis got the start between the pipes and he stopped 40 of the 43 shots he faced, including some outstanding saves. The final shots on goal were 48-43 in favour of the Eagles. The shots were 39-32 at the end of regulation time.

The series now switches to the Canmore Recreation Centre for Game 3 on Sunday afternoon at 2 pm and Game 4 on Monday night at 7 pm. Coach Milne believes that the team has the momentum going back home as the team has played 6, 7, 8 periods of good hockey.

If a decisive Game 5 is needed, it will be played in Drumheller on Wednesday night in Drumheller.

– The last time the Eagles had back-to-back games of a Playoff series going to Overtime was in 2006 in the opening round vs those same Dragons. The Eagles won Games 4 & 5 to win the series 3 games to 2, after trailing 2-0.
– The last time the Eagles went to double overtime was on February 26, 2010, against the Grizzlys in Olds. It was Game 1 of the 1st Round of the playoffs and the Eagles won the game 3-2 on a goal from Topher Flanagan.