Photo – The Eagles will travel to Olds for a Friday night game against the Grizzlys before returning home to Canmore to face Fort McMurray on Saturday night.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 – The Canmore Eagles (16-13-2) will face some very stiff competition this weekend as they will face the Grizzlys (13-14-6) in Olds on Friday night, before returning to Canmore on Saturday night for a home game against the mighty Fort McMurray Oil Barons (25-2-2).
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 6 – CANMORE @ OLDS GRIZZLYS
– The Grizzlys feature the AJHL’s leading scorer as captain Spencer Dorowicz has 41 points (22 Goals & 19 A) in 33 games this season.
– The Eagles have played the Grizzlys three times this year with Canmore winning two games by scores of 2-1 and 4-2, and the Grizzlys winning once by an 8-5 margin. All three games were played in Canmore.
– Canmore has not won in Olds for the past two seasons, going 0-5-1.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 7 – FORT MCMURRAY OIL BARONS @ CANMORE – 7 PM
– With a record of 25-2-2, the Oil Barons are ranked as the #1 Junior A team in all of Canada.
– The Oil Barons lead the AJHL in “Goals For” versus “Goals Against” with a +72.
– The Oil Barons lead the AJHL in “Goals Against” as they have allowed just 50 goals in 29 games.
– The Oil Barons feature three players in the AJHL’s top 8 in the scoring parade. Former Drumheller Dragon Ryan Bloom sits in second-place in the AJHL scoring parade with 39 points (12 G & 27 A), followed by Jetlan Houcher with 36 points (17 G and 19 A) and Kevin Miller with 33 points (14 goals and 19 assists)
– The two teams have met once this season in Fort McMurray on Sept. 21 with the Oil Barons winning 4-2.
NOTEBOOK: Saturday night’s home game against the Oil Barons is being sponsored by RBC. RBC will be making a special contribution to Canmore Minor Hockey prior to the game and will also be giving away special prizes throughout the game. . . The Eagles are an impressive 12-4 on home ice this season . . . Eagle’s captain Nils Moser will be missing from both weekend games as he serves a two-game suspension for a charging incident from last Saturday’s home game against Brooks. . . .Forward Luke Simpson, who has been out of the Eagle lineup since Oct. 12 with a dislocated elbow, could return to see limited action this weekend. . . The Eagles X-mas tree lot, located on Bow Valley Trail across from the Georgetown Inn, is now open. As of Dec. 4, the team has already sold 103 of their 380 trees. The lot is open from 4-7 pm Tuesday to Friday, and from 11-6 on Sat and Sun. We SOLD OUT last year, so come early for the best selection.